Tuesday, April 17, 2012

You Better Be-Weave-It--The Do's & Don't's.

I've worn weaves, braids and wigs, plenty of times. I've worn short hair for many years that weaving was always a great option for me to play with longer or curly styles. A new look and new do always kicks up the inner diva a few notches. Aside from that, my hair would rest from the daily and weekly maintenance wear and tear, which gave it time to grow in a more peaceful state. I will admit though taking care of my tresses while wearing a weave was not a focus. I never washed it (i know, gross), all I did would apply oils to my scalp, now that I'm healthy hair savvy all that build up on my scalp, no bueno. I just appreciated wearing weaves as saving me money and time, but now that I think about it, whenever I took the weave out I would have to get a massive trim and all the growth it did while resting was shot to hell.

So, my hair now is at the awkward ear length without a relaxer, so I've been thinking about weaving it for a few months for rest of course, but to see if I can get some maximum growth going too.

Ironically, ESSENCE online posted an article up on Ten Things You Need to Know Before You Add Extensions. I took notes on how I will treat my hair under a weave this time around. Honestly, I have never considered any of these tips when I wore my weaves in the past, no wonder I never got that length that I always expected.

1. DO Care For Your Own Hair First
Before you commit to adding in extensions, make sure that your own hair is in the best shape possible. “When your hair is under a weave, you think that you’re protecting it. However, if you’re not taking care of the hair underneath, you could be doing more damage than good,” says celebrity hairstylist Cynthia Alvarez. “My philosophy is that you have to deep condition, moisturize and give your own hair the best treatment that you can before you sew it up under the weave. If you start out with clean and conditioned hair, it will stay healthy and continue to grow.”

2. DON'T Skimp on Quality Hair 
Yes, hair extensions can be pricey, but always remember that you get what you pay for. “Cheap hair will be stiff and dry with no movement and what’s the point of wasting your money on that?” asks Alvarez. “Think about how long you would want to reuse the hair. If you buy really great quality hair, you don’t have to keep buying hair every other month. You end up saving more money and it will look more natural.”

3. DO Consider the Amount of Styling Time You'll Need
If you’re tight on time in the mornings, avoid hair that will need to be styled daily. “If you can spend a lot of time in the mirror everyday, then you can go with the hair that needs constant styling,” says Alvarez. “I recommend wavy textures for those with busy schedules because it is a wash-and-go texture but it also straightens really beautifully.”

4. DON'T Opt for a Glue-in Weave
“The glue has got to go!” exclaims Alvarez. “To glue in a weave is cheaper and faster, but you sacrifice your hair and health in the long run. Hair glue is made of latex and some people have really bad allergic reactions to it. Also, when you glue in a weave, you can’t reuse the hair. A sew-in weave would be a much smarter option.”

5. DO Consider a Wig 
Wigs are quickly becoming the popular alternative to extensions because of their versatility and ease. “A lot of women will get a lace-front wig sewn in because it lasts as long as a weave but it takes less time to install,” says Alvarez. “Wigs are also good because they come off and on everyday and allow your own hair to breathe at night.”

6. DON'T Overload Your Extensions
Adding serums and sheens can actually have the opposite effect on the hair over time. Instead of making the hair shine, it will weigh it down, make it stringy, or damage the hair. “If you have high quality hair, you don’t need a lot of products,” says Alvarez. “The hair will already have luster and shine.”

7. DO Take Into Consideration the Weight of Your Extensions
The longer and fuller your extensions are, the heavier the hair will be. This could cause added tension on your natural hair and make it prone to breakage. “When your hair starts growing under the weave, the weight of the weft can start to pull and break hair, especially around the edges,” says Alvarez. It’s also important to note that if you have a relaxer, the area where your new growth and relaxed hair meets is very delicate and more prone to breakage.

8. DON'T Be Afraid to Mix Textures
When deciding on the hair that best matches your own texture, feel free to mix-and-match hair types to create the perfect fit. “Contrary to popular belief, higher quality hair will not tangle when you mix the textures because the cuticles are smoother,” says Alvarez. “I would not advise mixing packaged hair. You will definitely have matting in that case.”

9. DO Customize Your Cut and Color
After you’ve worn your weave straight and long for a while, experiment by having the same hair dyed and cut into a fresh new ’do. “Customizing your hair can make all the difference,” says Alvarez. “Talk to your stylist and bring in pictures to see what style and cut would work best for you.”

10. DON'T Use Too Much Heat on the Hair
Human hair extensions can develop split ends and heat damage just like your natural hair. “This is human hair and if you use too much heat, it’s going to break,” says Alvarez. Avoid daily heat styling by opting for pin curls, roller sets or naturally wavy hair types.

Credit it essence online magazine. Click on the link to view the complete article http://photos.essence.com/galleries/ask_the_experts__the_do_s_and_don_ts_of_wearing_extensions#1265803

Here are a few snapshots of me rocking some weaved/wig styles:

 
Short Custom wig
 
 
Bob Weave

Curly Weave


No comments: