Thursday, August 30, 2012

5 Facts I Learned About My Hair During my 8 Month Hair Journey!

I'm 8 months in my hair journey and although I haven't achieved astonishing growth like I've seen some length check pics on www.hairlista.com and on the web. I will say, that since being on this journey, I now understand what is most important for my hair and understands what my hair needs and wants. If I had known what I know now pre-HJ. My hair would be hitting my ankles right about now. But hey, when you know better you do better.

Current state of my hair: Protective style, custom wig. I wanted to give my hair a bit of a rest. My last texturizer was June 16th so that makes me about 12 weeks post. I'm going to see how long I can go with doing protective styles and see what kind of progress my hair makes. I'm also gearing up to buy Carol's Daughter Transiting Kit to keep me going during my stretch with the hopes this can be the solution to taking me all the way to being completely natural.

5 facts I've learned about my hair:

1. My hair loves protein. What I mean when I say that is, my hair just shows-off when DC with protein. It looks healthy, feels healthy and it luxuriates. I have way less shedding, it looks fuller, every single one of my tresses shines. Anytime, I shop around for conditioners, I make sure that somewhere in the ingredients there's some protein in it.
My current conditioner I DC weekly with is Organic Root Stimulator Replenishing Conditioner. I looooooove this conditioner. My hair and this conditioner are married! It's a light protein so I get the strength and rebuilding my hair loves and I get the moisture that my hair needs. Double bonus!

2. I have bratty hair. My hair wants what it wants and if it doesn't it turns into a brat and sheds/breaks. What I mean when I say this is, my hair will shed or break, almost immediately with a product that does it no justice. It's a plus for me because I get to know what my hair hates asap, but the downside of that is it can put my hair into a bit of setback from trying to recover.

3. My hair grows slowly. When I log into hairlista and see length check pics, I'm like "hol' up her hair is down her damn back in 6 months???- What am I doing wrong?" Turns out, I'm not doing anything wrong, my hair moves at its own pace and I've already came to grips with it. So, I don't have the length that I want in my 8 months HJ but I do have the health. I'll take health over length anyday. I do give my hair a bit of assistance with growing and staying on track. I take Hairfinity vitamins twice a day and a B-complex vitamin. I still don't see fast growth but I do see less breakage and shedding than ever.

4. Pre-poo's and my hair shall never part. I wrote a post awhile back about pre-pooing and how much my hair loves it. I think this has been the secret to getting my hair in a healthy state. I will never, ever-ever skip a wash day without pre-pooing. For me, the pre-pooing process is where I focus on meeting the needs of my hair. For instance, my hair can be quite drying so I include honey, which helps attract moisture to my tresses. My hair can shed more than normal for no reason, so add garlic water, this minimizes shedding. I recently started adding Jamaican Black Castor Oil to help my thin tresses to thicken up. And of course, I also add my beloved coconut oil to the mix because it helps restore the health of the hair. Some wash days, I may add a cheap conditioner to the mix like Tresemme or Herbal Essence for an extra conditioning boost.

5. Natural ingredients are wassup. I'm not fully into using all natural products for shampooing and conditioning just yet, but I have learned that the natural ingredients I have incorporated into my hair regimen gives me better and faster results on my tresses. For my protein treatments, I started using a raw egg, olive oil, honey and a cheapie conditioner. My hair stopped all shedding and breakage asap and it snaps back to a healthy start--winning! I started using Rosewater & Glycerin to moisturize my new growth my hair seems to stay moist. Aloe vera juice (AVJ) I've added as a leave-in/detangler. Oh baby! My hair butter soft and super manageable. Just what I like!

What have you learned most about your hair on your HJ?


8 comments:

Tonka said...

Never heard of garlic water. Please what is it exactly and how do you use it? I started taking garlic pills very recently and I must say that I have noticed reduced shedding.

Cess B. said...

Not sure what to really call it garlic water or juice. But, I buy minced garlic in the jar for cooking purposes and I just take a few tsp of the water/juice from it and add it to my pre poo mix. It really does the job too!

Vee said...

Hello there!

I really enjoy your blog and I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger award. You can find the details on my blog www.growing-in-style.com.

Cess B. said...

Oh wow Vee I am honored! I will be sure to check out your blog for the details.

Cess B. said...

Oh wow Vee I am honored! I will be sure to check out your blog for the details.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing! This is great information!

-Karen
www.youstylistkaren.com

Cess B. said...

Thank you Karen! As I learn, I share ;-)

Clark said...

I like the way you start and then conclude your thoughts. Thanks for this nice information.





Ecru Silk Texturizing Balm