Friday, April 13, 2012

To Co-Wash or Not to Co-Wash?

What is co-washing? You Ask.. Co-washing is when you wash your hair with a moisturizing conditioner instead of shampoo. It's a technique to restore the moisture in your hair. I know it sounds crazy right? When I started my hair journey I was like "straight up conditioner'"? but the more I researched the more I started to understand the benefits of it. Of course, this technique may not work for everyone, so if you try and your hair feels coated, itchy scalp increases or your hair doesn't feel manageable then this technique is not for you.

The benefits of co-washing:
  •  Co-Washing helps to reduces knots and tangles
  •  Co-washing will help to keep your hair soft and moisturized, which is especially important if  you’re transitioning
  •  Co-washing is great for hydrating the scalp
When I saw all the benefits of co-washing I went for it. I tried it with VO5 moisturizing conditioners, my hair said "NO BUENO" it was dry and stiff.  I've tried it with Herbal Essence Hello Hydration my hair did say "HELLO." My hair was so moisturized that I didn't have to add any moisturizing products in my hair like I usually do, so I was good until my wash day without adding any products. I've also tried Cream of Nature Nourishing Conditioner and my hair said "Keep Nourishing Me Baby." My new growth was crazy manageable with this one, almost like my hair was a completely different texture.

I will admit that since I'm giving up the creamy crack my hair seems drier than ever, so co-washing does give my hair that restored moisture it needs and my new growth is way more softer and manageable.

A cheapie conditioner is what you use to co-wash. You can usually find these type of conditioners on sale at drugstores like Rite Aid, CVS, Walgreens or Target for less than $5.

Hair Lover Ravs & Favs Co-Wash Conditioners
VO5 moisture milks conditioners
Suave Almond & Shea Butter
Herbal Essence Hello Hydration
Suave Tropical Coconut Conditioner
Dove Damage Intensive Repair Conditioner
Tresemme Moisture
Aussie Moist
Pantene Relaxed & Natural Conditioner

How often to co-wash? That's all up to you. I try to do it once a week in between my wash days, but I've read some hair regimens and some girls do it more than that. I think my hair is just fine with just once a week or as needed basis. If you try it and see great improvements and results  from co-washing then add to your regimen. But if you see no difference, your hair doesn't quite respond right then give it the boot. Not every technique will work for everyone. Finding the right moisturizing conditioner, is part of a successful co-wash.

Have you tried co-washing? Love it or Hate It?

2 comments:

chelleshock32 said...

love it, really handy for keeping my hair fresh, but I'm relaxed

Cess B. said...

Relaxed girls can be down with co-washing. It can be beneficial for both natural and relaxed girls. Once you are matched up with the perfect moisturizing conditioner for your hair. FAB results!